Thursday, April 30, 2009

Scary Low(s)

This trip has had it's challenges for sure.  We had the vehicle break down, then ran into a blizzard which delayed us by a day and we decided to make up for it by driving over night again and now we are back on track with beautiful weather.  Oh- the trailer we are hauling got a flat tire yesterday because we hit a huge pothole that seemed to come out of nowhere!  
Yesterday, we arrived in Ft Nelson, British Columbia after a long 20 hours in the car.  Jada had been sleeping- before she fell asleep I checked her and she was 99.  I gave her about 3/4 of a granola bar (I think the whole bar had about 30 grams of carbs)- I actually thought I was giving her too much, but wanted to be safe as we've had some lows that were too low.  She slept for a couple of hours and woke up when we arrived here at our hotel.  We unloaded, Jeff took a cat nap and then it was time to go swimming.  The kids were excited because the pool has a waterslide.  Naturally- I checked Jada before swimming and she was !!!29!!!  I nearly freaked out- I couldn't believe she was walking and talking like nothing was wrong.  I gave her 3 glucose tabs and as she began to eat, the effect of the low began to set in.  I was holding her and she could barely lift her head up and kept telling me that she was tired and wanted to go to sleep.  I kept talking to her and after about 5 minutes, she was doing better.  After ten minutes, I checked her again- good ole' rebound effect- 435! :) We went ahead and went swimming, but she continued to drop steadily and by the time supper came around, she didn't need a shot because she was around 100.  I even had to wake her up at midight to have a snack because she was 105 and she still woke up at 60 this morning.  Oh- and before that scary afternoon low- she hadn't had any fast acting insulin since breakfast.  Any suggestions?  Now- I will expect some lows today with all of the swimming activity she's had and am prepared to feed her the extra carbs.  The other lows don't make a lot of sense to me as she has done nothing but sit in a vehicle almost constantly the last 3 days.  
Well- I'm glad to have got that off my chest.  The hotel we are staying at has pretty sketchy internet service and I hadn't been able to open up blogger until a few minutes ago. I have been unable to catch up on everyone's blogs this week and I really feel like I've missed out.  So- hopefully, I'll get a little reading in before we have to check out.

7 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Oh wow 29! Syd's lowest has been 37 and that was freaky enough! Poor Jada! I'm not sure what is up with her being so low. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. I am not sure if it is the same for Jada but when Syd eats a glucose tab, she gets the glucose all over her fingers and if I don't wash them with an alcohol pad or with soap, it affects her bs reading...it will be really high. Just something we've found out. Anyway take care you guys! Good luck and keep being safe!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

29 is low and very scarey. Christopher's lowest was 16 and he was walking around like nothing. The only thing that made me think something was up is he was sweaty. When we travel he is noramlly a little high. With every child being different and then changing how they are different .... lol... I would just make sure her snacks are regular and maybe add some extra carbs until you arrive. Honestly, I'm ok with him running a little high while traveling because I feel highs (not real high highs) are better than lows. You are in our prayers.

Joanne said...

I would have been freaking out... wow! I'm sorry you're dealing with these tough numbers while you're travelling. We've been dealing with some unexplained lows lately too, and I have no clue as to why. But it sounds like you're doing a fabulous job during what must be a pretty stressful time.

By the way, I grew up in B.C. (Vancouver), and although I've never been further north than Prince George, I love my home province. Give it a big kiss for me!

Anonymous said...

it's probably just the changes going on. The fact that so much is happening this week. She's probably got alot going on in her little head and in her body. Hopefully things will even out once you get to Banks..but 29 is definately way way out of the ordinary, but you caught it and that's all that matters :)

I am still praying hard for the rest of your journey to be safe and happy!

Wendy said...

BLECH! This stinkin' disease drives me nuts!

Addy was 26 without a single symptom once...I understand the panic!!!!

Jill said...

Wow, those are scary sounding numbers! I'm glad Jada made it through without feeling too bad for too long. Praying for some evening out of her numbers for both of you.

Curly said...

29, wow! I'm so glad you caught it in time.