Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's My Birthday

 I am sitting in an oh-so- quiet house.  Outside, I can hear our resident cardinal chirping and the resident woodpecker knocking away.  Jeff has taken the children grocery shopping and upon their return, he has given me the afternoon off.  I haven't decided yet what to do.  Barnes and Noble is always a favorite place for me to hang out.  Books and coffee- what's better than that?  I even thought about catching a movie- some good chick flick that Jeff would only go to in order to humor me. :) Shopping just doesn't sound appealing.  I'm still burned-out from Christmas shopping.  Malls at this point make me gag.  Whatever I decide to do, it will be lovely and relaxing, as my morning has been.  I'm quite sure that Jeff has plans for my birthday here at home and will spend the afternoon with the kids getting things together.  He does this almost every year and I love to see what they come up with.
My 35 years have been blessed.  I was raised in a good, stable Christ-centered home with parents who loved me unconditionally. Jeff and I have had some rough years- but those are behind us and we have definitely moved on to a wonderful place together.  My children are amazing and they have taught me more than I could ever teach them.  Even our incessant moving around has been a huge blessing, because it has caused me to remain a flexible person and I've learned much about relationships and how to maintain them over the years and miles.  My family- Jeff's side and mine- are amazing people.  All of them and I love them will all my heart- they've seen us through some rough times.  My friends are a gift from the Lord.  I am managing to keep in touch with my friends from all the way back to my childhood and God has used many of them in very special ways, especially over the last year to encourage and comfort me.  
I am blessed and could ask for nothing more than what I've been given in this life. 

8 comments:

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Happy birthday!!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday! I hope Jeff & the kids cook you a fabulous dinner AND clean the kitchen afterwards!

I don't think Chloe Grace had ever been to the beach before, judging by her reaction. She loved it, until the first mouthful of ocean water. Then came the snotting & spitting! The water was pretty cold, but that didn't stop the kids from drenching themselves! We took the older kiddos to Disneyland a couple of years ago, so they had their favorite things already lined up that they wanted to do. It was so fun to watch CG experience it all for the first time. It was all so real for her. No matter how many times we saw Mickey (or any of the characters for that matter) she had to hug him every single time!

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday! I hope your day is amazing!

I am new to your blog. Your title alone brought me here. I too have a diabetic princess! I will be checking back often!

:) Tracie said...

Happy Birthday!!

I too have a diabetic daughter, she's 8 and coming up on her 7 year diagnosis date, so I'm stalking your blog too!

p.s. while you're alone, eat all the cake you want!!!

Curly said...

Oh happy happy birthday. May the coming year bring even more blessings!

Jill said...

I said it on FB, but say it again...happy, happy, happy birthday!!! It's pretty crazy how far we've come in 35 years - or the nearly 20 we've known each other (can you believe it?!). To think of what the desires of our heart were then (or _who_ they were - not sure whether to laugh or groan!). Whether in IA or OK or AK, God is working and will continue to work in your lives "according to His purpose." Of course I wish His purpose would bring you closer to the TN direction :) but I'm happy that you're returning to the place you love. Hope the fam went all out for your bday! Love ya'! ~ JJ

Amy said...

It was a good day today! Thanks everyone for the B-day wishes! I had some extra chocolate AFTER Jada went to bed!!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, yesterday, Amy!! We'll have to celebrate when you come back to Alaska :) :)