Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Please and Thank You

Jada recently has taken a somewhat pleasant, unexpected turn in her reaction to taking shots and getting her finger poked. Last night, after dinner, I gave her a shot. No fussing, no running. She turned to look at me and said, "Thank you, Mama". It really took me by surprise. Then, tears. Telling me thank you for a shot? She did it again today, several times after taking her blood sugar and then again after shots. There are times that I see hints of her understanding something of this disease. I talk to her a lot about highs and lows and what causes them- at a level which I think she can understand.
Yesterday, I made cookies. They are the best cookies I have ever eaten. Yummy. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Jada was able to have one after her nap and I told her that at bedtime, she could have one more. She was a little low at bedtime and so giving her a cookie- one cookie- was okay. Well, I talked to my sister in law in Alaska on the phone and left the cookies within arms reach. Big mistake. I have no idea how many cookies she ate, I just know that she woke up at 11:30 pm, not feeling well and with a blood sugar close to 400! She drank at least 32 oz. of water in about 5 minutes time. Jeff and I debated as to whether or not to give her a correction shot- but that also meant we would have to feed her. The last time I tried giving her novolog without food, she came down so fast that we almost had trouble on the other end of the spectrum. I knew her long acting insulin was working (lantus), so we decided to let her come down on her own. She was right around 200 this morning when she woke up- a little high. I'm really glad I didn't give her a shot, because that may have started a bunch of bouncing around with her numbers and I really did not want to deal with that all day. Someday, she will understand the effects of food on her blood sugar, but by the time we get to that point, we'll probably have a host of other things to worry about! :)
On the homefront, all is well. Had parent-teacher conferences tonight and had great reports from the boys teachers. Jeff and I could not be more proud of them- both of their teachers really enjoy them. Mary Beth and David had a collision tonight walking back to the car- he totally plowed over her- knocked her flat. She told me tonight that she just knew that one of hr bones was gone. When we prayed, she asked God to help her sore leg feel better. When she was done, she looked at me and said, "What if God is too busy to help me?" So sweet. We had a long talk about God and His character- I'm sure she didn't understand all of it, but I do think she is beginning to understand just how much God loves her and is concerned for every detail of her life. So precious.



No comments: