Monday, September 15, 2008

It's Monday

Ike left cool weather in Oklahoma when he blew out of here early Sunday morning. He gave us a couple of inches of rain and late Saturday night, blew our patio furniture around in the backyard. He was just one big nasty storm.
Having just moved from the Houston area, my heart is truly hurting for those affected by this storm. We watched the news all weekend- even the boys were interested. We saw so many places that we were familiar with and had been to. The Kemah Boardwalk- it's all under water. We went there the day after Christmas and ate at Joe's Crab Shack. We've heard it's under several feet of water. Galveston- we went 3 or 4 times. All of the landmarks we remember are gone. Freeport and Surfside Beach- beautiful small coastal towns. And most of Houston without power. I can't imagine what it has been like for the residents who remained during the storm and for those who evacuated- and don't know what they are coming home to. I finally received a a FB message from my friend Heidi who lives just outside the metro Houston area and they finally got power back tonight. I'm sure they all did the happy dance when the lights came on!
So- the weather here has been beautiful! We went to supper at Luby's (not my fav place) and then took the kids to one of the River Parks here in Tulsa. Almost needed a jacket. I LOVE this time of year! So comfortable to be outside. So nice to have the air conditioning turned off and the windows open.
I am worn out tonight. There are times that motherhood just absolutely wears on me. My house needs a good cleaning and I just don't have the energy to do it. My two little princesses tend to leave a path of destruction behind them. I remember when the David and Eli were this age, they did the exact same thing. I just find things strewn all over the house. The girls' room looks like a hurricane blew through it over the last couple of days. I think I am just lacking sleep- these middle of the night blood sugar checks are getting to be too much.
Speaking of blood sugars, I am going to try to call tomorrow and speak to one of Jada's endos in TX. She is running high at lunch time and I think her Lantus (long acting insulin) needs to be adjusted. I didn't even try to call today- I was busy and out of the house AND Houston is a major disaster zone. I don't even know if my call will go through when I try tomorrow.
She really surprised me today. We picked David up from school to take him out to lunch and went to a Mexican place. They brought out chips and salsa when we sat down. Jada is normally the first to try to eat a few chips- she loves chips and salsa! Not today- she didn't even ask if she could have any! She kept her little hands away from them. I wonder if she is beginning to understand some of the things she can and cannot eat. I wouldn't have let her have any today (I forgot her insulin and she was high), but if we were at home I would just count out how many she could have and we would adjust her insulin accordingly. She just really surprised me.
Well- I need to go to bed. I would like to numb my mind with something on tv for a while first, though! My brain is tired.

No comments: