Monday, May 25, 2009

Miss Munchy

"Jada- what are you doing?" 

"Nothing"  (refrigerator door closes)

Jada walks out of the kitchen with chocolate milk dripping out the corners of her mouth. 

"Jada- did you drink some chocolate milk?"

Silence

"Well, I was just firsty, Mama" (no- firsty is not a typo- "thirsty")

20 minutes later-  "Mama-   I want a drink of water. I'm REALLY firsty!"

hmm....
"I think we need to check your blood sugar."

beep. !!399!!

Then, we have the talk.  You know, the one about how we ask before eating.  How we need to test  before we eat.  How sometimes, we have to have a free snack like cheese or a peanut butter sucker or a piece of lunch meat.  

I don't know if she's going through a growth spurt, but Jada has had the munchies for the last week!  I have had this conversation with her at least once, if not twice a day for the last week!  I've never had to put things up out of her reach, because she's been pretty good about not eating the things she shouldn't eat and usually pretty good about asking, too.  Well, not any longer.  So, here are a few things that I know I should do:
1. Make sure she gets plenty to eat at meal times AND keep her meal/snack times on schedule. (which, since moving, we haven't been too scheduled).
2. Not get angry with her for eating food that she shouldn't- the last thing I need to create is a battle over food!
3. I think I also need to put things up out of her reach and make sure everyone else does the same (wish me luck!).

Any other suggestions?  Over all her numbers are pretty good but she is just one hungry little girl!

5 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Ya probably a growth spurt. Syd is like Jada...we just have her ask first. Sometimes those things are tough. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, what is a peanut butter sucker?

Amy said...

Peanut butter sucker = about a tblsp of peanut butter on a spoon! :)

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Aawww, just love this girl. I always kept water bottles in the frige for Christopher to get and the munchies are very normal. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. Our doctor during these years told us to let him eat and keep track of blood sugars and cover with shots. Of course that was many years ago...14...so follow your mommy gut reaction...you know best. :)

Anonymous said...

Is it sad that I have this same conversation with my 32 year old husband?

Anonymous said...

Maybe keep some prepackaged "free" snacks. Jello wigglers made with sugar free jello (ours hates Jello, but). There is a 3 gram yogurt; tastes pretty good. Half cup of sliced strawberries, mix with cool whip and put in small popsicle molds; there are 5 gram sugar free popsicle ice sticks (the kind that looks like liquid Kool Aide in sticks before it is frozen). Cool whip comes in flavors and you can omit the strawberry step, put in popsicle molds, tastes like ice cream. Celery stick, peanut butter and a few raisins on top (ants on a log); cheeseburgers with pickles on Rommaine lettuce leaves, no bun; hot dogs with catsup, no bun, home made chicken veggie soup, raw veggies and ranch dip or any low carb dip. Sorry, most of these are high fat, but when you omit the carbs and want something tasty...... Oh, sunflower seeds, roasted and salted. So much fiber there are very little carbs after you subtract the fiber.