Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lantus at Night

We did it- got that Lantus switched over to night. Now- we'll watch those numbers over the next few days and see what happens. As I mentioned in my last post, she ran high all day yesterday and I just assumed that she would run high during the night as well, with things getting straightened out during the day today.

Yeah.

Right.

At her midnight check, she was in the low 60's. She was oh so tired and she refused to eat a slice of bread and butter- all I could get down her was a juice box- 15 grams. What do you do? I knew that she needed something more substantial than juice- but knew that I would be keeping a close eye on her and would be able to catch a crash.

Yeah.

Right.

I checked her 20 minutes later and she was on her way up- 146. I went to bed and set my alarm for two hours later- 2:30 am. She was 160. Good- I can sleep some more. 4:30 a.m. 155. Down a little, but not too much of a change. I thought- she's good. I can sleep til it's time for everyone to wake up.

Yeah.

Right.

Jada had crawled into bed with us at some point after her last check and when she heard Jeff get up- she did, too. About 7:30 am. I lay there and I could hear her meter beep as he took her blood sugar. !!46!! WHAT???

Maybe I should have woken up at 6 or 6:30 to check her again....maybe I should have checked her after I knew she was in bed with us. Who the heck knows....

I'm sure that changing things up did affect her. She wasn't very active yesterday- it's getting colder here and not as comfortable to play outside for extended periods of time.

Any how...after all that.....Jeff forgot to give her the morning dose of Novolog! :) We figured that part out about an hour after she ate and she had only climbed to 224. At lunch, she was down to 180- so we didn't mess up too badly.

Poor girl. I'm amazed at how she thrives in spite of us!

6 comments:

phonelady said...

hugs first off you are a great mom I am sure . dont beat yourself up too bad cause you are doing all you can to deal with this . I think all of us are and one day she will be all grown up and she will be doing all this by herself . Then you will know you have done an excellent job . believe me I know I have been there I raised a son who has t1 . Just remember to breathe you are doing fine .

AjsMommy82 said...

I wouldn't of checked her again either after having 3 good numbers in a row. And it sound like she really didn't need that Novolog anyways ;-)
Alivia was low a few weeks ago in the morning when I changed her dinner Lantus dose from 2 to 2.5 but when I changed it back down she woke up high again, so I put it back to 2.5 and made sure she had a 15-20gm snack with protein and a little fat (milk with a tiny bit of choc syrup or 1/2 a pb sandwich)and she's been waking up great. I know they say Lantus doesn't peek like Novolog and NPH but in Alivia if she doesn't get a bedtime snack she'll be low by midnight.
Hope you get the right dose/bedtime snack combo figured out soon so you can get some sleep!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

With all that we deal with it's surprising we remember that we have children sometimes. LOL I forgot to do Christopher Lantus shot one night. I came in before bed and there is his shot from eariler (4 hours) on the kitchen table full of insulin. WHAT???!!?!?! After a call to Vanderbilt and the doctor thinking...should I trust this woman with this child, we gave him a shot and then did the every 2 hr check. God help us all. Ha

Unknown said...

All I can say is that this is similar to what we go through with my Grandma. There are good times and there are bad times. I was with her one afternoon when her bsl dropped very low. Like you, I couldn't get her to take a bite of the sandwich. I had the gel ready to twist the cap and squirt in her mouth and just as I started to twist the cap off, she took a bite. I couldn't imagine living with diabetes. I watched as an internal battle waged somewhere inside her rendering her decisionless as to whether or not to even take a bite. She's doing well today, but we always keep a close eye on her. Keep it up, dear friend. Thank you for blogging your adventures, too.

Wendy said...

Stinkin 46 -- ARGH! D always has to sneak in there an try to get the last laugh...

AH HA! But you beat him at his own game -- even if you DID forget the morning Novolog :)

Keep up the GREAT work!

Anonymous said...

You might want to give warm chocolate milk a try for night-time lows. My daughter often barely wakes up, and because we use whole milk, the fat slows the carbs down a little and it doesn't spike as much as juice. We just adjust the amount of chocolate syrup we add to the milk, depending on how low she is. If she's really low, she gets really strong chocolate milk!! Hope this helps.
Rebecca :)