Sunday, December 20, 2009

Adventures in Sunday School

I never know what Jada's blood sugar is going to be during Sunday School. Church starts at 10 am and part way through the service, the kids are dismissed to another theater (yes, our church meets in a movie theater!) for Sunday School. I always check her before she leaves and there have been times that I need to give her a snack before she goes in. However, you've heard about the times that she has dropped to some crazy lows during Sunday School after she had been on the high end of her range just before I sent her in. Today was another story!! :)

Her Sunday School teacher, Michael, is a great guy! He's also an EMT, which makes me feel a little more relaxed. They don't have snacks every week (which is just fine with me), but when they do, he always checks to see if Jada can have one. He never just assumes anything, which we really appreciate. Like, last week, he had cheese sticks (perfect!) and even though he knew it was a free snack, he wanted to make sure. Today, just as the kids were being dismissed from church, Michael walked in and briefly sat down next to Jeff. He had Christmas treats for the kids and was checking to see if Jada could have any. Well, she had been 289 about 10 minutes prior to his asking, so I was doubtful, but told him I would check her again. So, I went to the next theater and wouldn't you know, she had already dropped to 220 and I told him she could have a few pretzels with almond bark on them. He went to get her some water and I went back to church. I wasn't sure if I had done the right thing, but I couldn't fathom her sitting there while the other kids were eating cookies and other treats while she had a bottle of water. NOT happening!

So, I pick her up after church, and found out that she had a juice box with her treats and my stomach sank! What was that lunch time number going to be??? We've been dealing with so many highs lately, that I thought for sure she would be in the 300's. And when we got home and checked, wouldn't you know- 200 on the mark! The very upper end of her range. Isn't it amazing what a number can do to your day?? I was almost giddy!!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

WHEW! Never thought you'd be happy for unplanned juice!

Glad she did well and still enjoyed her snack...that makes my heart very happy!

Lora said...

Just think... the holidays will be over soon. I pray all these crazy high and lows go away for all of us :)

I am glad she was able to enjoy her treat with a little cooperation from the D!

Meri said...

I love good surprises! I found out my little guys teacher was giving him fruit snacks every week, without telling me! UHG! She won't be giving him those anymore...

phonelady said...

Oh that is great and I for one will be glad when the holidays are over again for another year . then we can deal with it again next year. anyways you are such an awesome mommy and dealt with it .

Joanne said...

Yay for surprising, good numbers. I love it when that happens. I too can't wait for all these crazy numbers to be done with.

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Wow...I would have thought she would have been higher too! Glad she got to enjoy her snack!

Nicole said...

It is so funny how one little number can change your whole day for the best or worst. So glad that it was for the best this time. We all need some more of those days!