Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Ninjabread"

"Thanks for helping me with my ninjabread ornaments, mama.", Jada said as we were cleaning up our mess tonight. I busted a gut laughing so hard. I wish I could record what she sounds like- she's so stinkin cute.
We spent a few hours after dinner creating scented ornaments with a recipe from www.familyfun.go.com. I've made these for a few years now and the kids absolutely love doing it. It's a mixture of applesauce, cinnamon and glue- it forms a dough and after about 30 min. in the fridge, you roll it out, cut out shapes with a cookie cutter, punch a hole in it- then of course it takes a day or two to dry. Beware- however- if you are like me and strong scents give you headaches- take some Excedrin before you begin! :) I thought I was going to get a migraine for a little bit, but now that we're done, the headache is going away. The recipe calls for a cup and a half of cinnamon- that gives you an idea of what it must smell like! In years past, I have traced around the kids hands and when Jada was a baby, we did a foot imprint that turned out so cute for a baby's first Christmas ornament.
In other news- Jada's doing ok. She did scare us in the middle of the night. She woke up with an ear ache and cried for about an hour. No fever and her blood sugar was ok, but all I could think of was ketones, ketones, ketones! I never checked because she finally settled down and wasn't having any of her tell-tale ketone symptoms- like puking, wetting the bed, etc.. I think she just got really congested and after laying on one side, it all drained to her left ear. No problems today- we'll see what happens tonight!
Well- off to check the ninjabread ornaments. Oh- one other great thing about these ornaments- we got our cookie cutter fix w/out sugar cookie dough! These babies are CARB FREE!


4 comments:

Jen said...

Your ornaments sound so fun! My kiddos would love making them....we may have to try that.

Hope you all, especially Jada, have a great week!

Curly said...

I made those "ninjabread" ornaments before having kids, but I totally forgot about them! I'm going to get the stuff to make them with my kids. I think they will love it too.

I'm glad she was okay.

Sarah said...

oooh, that's so cute! I love it!!

Lori said...

Those are the best! FamilyFun mag is one of my favorites.

Good to hear she is okay. Love the new ornament name too.