Friday, February 5, 2010

Midwinter Blues

Here it is the first week of February....and I've been dreaming of the Gulf of Mexico and warm, sandy beaches. :) Okay...okay...I know....I CHOSE to live here....but the midwinter blues have set in. I thought maybe they would come in January like they did a few years ago when we lived here, but at last, they've reared their head. Today was probably the worst. We woke up to -30 and it did warm up to -18, but as soon as the sun set, the temps dropped. Clear skies tonight mean cold, cold weather. Currently the temp is -33! You really only get out if you have to...but tomorrow...I don't care how cold it is....I'm getting OUT.....because I have been in this house TOO much!

Jada is doing GREAT! Over all, her numbers have been good. She's waking up high some mornings.....but it always seems to be when I have to give her something in the middle of the night. I'm thinking 15 grams of carbs are just too much, probably more like 8 is what we need to do. If we don't eat dinner at about 5:30, it really throws her numbers off for the rest of the night. There have been some nights that we haven't had dinner until 7:00 and then when she's going to bed 90 minutes later, she'll be at the upper end of her range and I really don't like giving her a snack when she's that high. Then, later, when I check her at midnight, she needs a snack because she's REALLY dropping. Yes, that snack breaks the drop, but also shoots her up and she stays there. (sigh) Night time has always been one of our biggest battles in one way or another. Guess I'll just keep plugging away with it....now if the family's schedule would just settle down so that we could eat on time!!!

And then there's Oprah....what to say, what to say........ Well, alot has already been said by others. I didn't watch the show because our cable box decided this afternoon that it wanted to die. God may have had something to do with that because I *might* have lost my temper and thrown something at the TV. Or maybe I would have just thrown the TV. I've worked too hard in my 12 step program dealing with anger issues just to relapse because of Oprah! haha!

Seriously, though, from what I've read, it was a wasted opportunity on her behalf to educate America. It's disappointing, but at this point, what do we expect? It seems that Type 1 Diabetes just isn't something that people want to hear about it...maybe because they think they already know about diabetes!!!! And really, they know so little!

So another week has gone.....just one step closer to warm weather for us! :) Saturday marks the start of the Yukon Quest. It's a 1,ooo mile dog sled race between Fairbanks and Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. We're hoping to take the kids down to see the start of it if it's not too cold. Lance Mackey, the Iditarod Champion will be running. If you don't know who he is, I'd encourage you to look him up. He's one of Alaska's greatest celebrities and just a good guy who has overcome some obstacles in his life. I don't know Lance, but his sister is a friend of mine and it's his niece and nephew that I watch 3 days a week. The Iditarod will be coming in March and then I'm sure you'll hear his name on the news! I'll try to get pictures, but the camera battery dies quickly in this cold!

Well, I'm off to check the baby girl and hopefully (fingers crossed) her numbers will be in good shape and I can head to bed! And hopefully, it won't be two more weeks before I post something again! :)

3 comments:

Melissa's Thoughts said...

You need a sun lamp to lay under each day. Really it works...

Rachel Lundy said...

It's good to read a post from you again. Sorry to hear that the midwinter blues have set in. :( I hope they pass soon and that spring comes early for you.

:) Tracie said...

I agree with the sunlamp!

You gotta lotta cool things goin' on out there by you, dogsledding...neat! My SIL is in Calgary for the Olympics and could you believe they had to truck in the snow?! Too funny. Some blues for them!